07 Feb When Did Skipping Breakfast Become Healthy?
By: Tanya Burk
Growing up mom wouldn’t let you catch the bus without finishing your breakfast, and it stuck! You grew up believing breakfast was the most important meal of the day! Then, you hear a group of ripped ladies at the gym talking about their intermittent fasting cycles and not eating until lunch. What? How can that be healthy? Fasting? Isn’t that some religious practice?
What if mom was wrong? What if people fasting for religious reasons are getting more than just spiritual benefits from the process? Research is proving that fasting can be beneficial in several ways when done correctly. Many medical doctors including best-selling author and widely respected M.D., Don Colbert, has been advocating the practice of fasting for some time. More recently, the fitness world is catching on.
Intermittent fasting (IF) has become a favored method among fitness enthusiast to lose body fat, add lean muscle, and increase strength. Dr. John M. Berardi and Dr. Krista Scott-Dixon’s research and work with self – experimentation on IF has fueled this spark, and ignited a new fire in the fitness realms. Let’s address the three biggest questions we tend to get on intermittent fasting:
- What is intermittent fasting?
- How does intermittent fasting work?
- Is intermittent fasting right for me?
What is intermittent fasting? Intermittent Fasting is simply a pattern of eating. Just as eating every 3-4 hours while awake, or grazing, is a pattern of eating; intermittent fasting is not a diet, it is a method of when to eat. There are 3 patterns of intermittent fasting that tend to be most popular, but I will explain the one most beneficial to women: daily intermittent fasting (otherwise known as the leangains method). This method entails getting all of your meals in usually during an 8 hour time frame within the day and fasting for the other 16 hours. What you eat does not change, only when you eat it. Other methods of intermittent fasting prescribe going longer periods of time without food. Because several studies indicate that these prolonged fasting states can actually backfire on women (especially if done over long amounts of time) we usually recommend the 16/8 split for women.
- How does intermittent fasting work? This pattern of eating works because it allows your body the chance to use your own fat stores for energy thus, burning off your body fat! When you graze throughout the day you are keeping your metabolism sped up, and that is good! However, it also keeps your body in a fed state. It can take your body up to 12 hours to digest some meals. By fasting for 16 hours you are allowing your body enough time to digest and absorb all meals. This fasted state puts your body in the position to start using your own body fat as fuel. At TwinFitness we train our clients to become fat adapted which actually enhances the intermittent fasting process.
- Is intermittent fasting right for me? Only you can answer this question. At TwinFitness our trainers are educated to help you make a decision that works best for your lifestyle. People who are already struggling to keep their nutrition under control are not likely good candidates for the IF pattern of eating. People who have struggled with eating disorders are not likely good candidates either.
Co-founder and co-owner of TwinFitness, IFBB Pro Kristie Trasey, practices intermittent fasting every day. She loves it because it makes her life so much easier. She can get her children ready for school and not have to think about food for herself. When asked about her experience training clients with the IF method of eating, TwinFitness Trainer Amy Ehinger said she has had very positive results! Her clients claim to have more energy for cardio & weight training before eating without blood sugar crashes. Personally, I like the ease of working fasted cardio into my schedule while using the IF eating method. I didn’t have to get up as early and still was able to get cardio in during a fasted state which burn more internal fat stores!
So are you ready to ditch momma’s command to never leave home without eating breakfast? Call TwinFitness today for a personal consultation to see what method of eating and nutrition plan is right for you!